Work From Home? Don’t Sweat It
Updated: Aug 4, 2022
I recently was interviewed about my home-based business for a local news program. I realize how many people are probably envious that I get to work from home. I wish I could say it’s not as great as it seems, but I’d be lying.
I love working from home. I don’t miss the commute or the stress of finding a parking spot. I have no difficulty separating work and family life. I simply ignore the piles of laundry until I close up shop and can focus on my family duties.
Operating my marketing company out of my home keeps my costs low. I don’t have to pay for leasing office space or the utilities that come with it. I don’t have any full-time employees, so benefits and 401Ks aren’t in my vocabulary.
Home-based businesses are on the rise, as more companies realize the cost savings advantages of outsourcing work to home-based companies. If you can dream it, you can do it from home. Here are some tips for starting your own home-based business:
1. Do What You Know. It’s important to be familiar with the area in which you do business. It’s also important to like it. When you work from home, it isn’t about “getting rich quick,” it’s about having options. Think about what you are passionate about, and build your business around that.
2. Get a Strong Support Network. Start with your family. They have to be behind you 100% in your entrepreneurial endeavor, or it will be a difficult journey. Make sure your family understands that just because you work from home, that doesn’t mean you’ll be doing chores and running errands for the household!
Additionally, find a strong support network of like-minded entrepreneurs. This may be a networking group in your community or a group online. When you work from home, you don’t interact with people every day, so it’s important to have a team of people who can encourage you and support you.
3. Research, Research, Research. Arm yourself with as much information as possible on both your business platform and working from home. You’ll make major adjustments from working in a conventional office, and it’s important for you to know what you’re faced with.
4. Block off Work and Family Time. It’s easy to let work time melt over into family time. Don’t let it. Establish timeframes for when you are in work mode and switch off 100% when it’s time for family. You may close your office door and turn off your computer to add to the “being off” effect.
5. Roll With the Punches. Just like starting any business, your home-based business will have some rough times initially. Getting clients to pay promptly enough for you to pay bills is a constant struggle. Get through the tough patches knowing that eventually, your entrepreneurial efforts will pay off!
Working from home can be rewarding. It can help you reconnect with your family, be there for your children, and give you something to strive for. While you may give up some things (steady income, higher salary), you ultimately will have the best job in the world, no matter what you do!
Is working from home all it’s cracked up to be? You bet! Here’s how you can start your own home-based business and love going to work each day!